Re: Debian Installation experience

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 stick@richnet.net wrote:
>
> > > * (Re)mounting is disabled.
> > > * immutable-append-only are enforced by the kernel (i.e. you can't chmod
> > >   them away).
> > Does this mean that you have to boot to a different kernel to do software
> > upgrades?
>
> yes.

[snip]

> > The base Debian doesn't have "a dozen languages" on it.  I thought we were
> > talking about needing Perl on a base Debian system?  Perl is one language.
> > Java support is truly optional.
>
> yes we're only talking about perl.

[snip]

> Yes. But dpkg depends on perl for its backends so you'll be crippled. An
> important advantage debian has over other distributions is the
> package-system.

So you don't want your users (that is if you have any) to run perl
scripts?  Well why didn't you say so: "chmod go-x /usr/bin/perl".  This
won't break dpkg, and since the system is down during upgrades (on a
different kernel), there's no race condition.  Or am I missing something?

Brandon