Re: mc problem

allen@cleo.murdoch.edu.au (Lindsay Allen) writes:
> > On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Lindsay Allen wrote:
> > > On /debian/bo/binary-i386/admin/acct_6.2-4.deb I get :-
> > >
> > > /..						2048
> > > /CONTENTS					   0
> > >  INFO						1206
> > > *INSTALL					 515
> > >
> > > and it's the same story for all .deb files.
> > >
> > Yes, that is quite normal and makes me wonder what is the problem!?
> > Just go further on and enter the "./CONTENTS" subdirectory where you
> > will find what you have been searching for. If you press enter on
> > "*INSTALL" dpkg will install the package for you. I do this all the
> > time like this! ;-)
>
> Not so fast.  <g>  When I hit Enter on /CONTENTS I get
>   /..                                    0
>
> and that's it.

Uh oh! That's strange! :-(

> I certainly understand things better now and it seems that the
> problem is not in mc at all.  I just wiped every mc related file
> from my box and installed Paul's mc_4.0-linux-1_i386.deb and it
> behaves in exactly the same way.  There is a lot of disk activity
> when I hit Enter on a .deb so I think the file is being opened.  I
> just don't get to see the result.

So now we need to know all the hairy details: Do you have the latest
'dpkg' installed? I use version 1.4.0.8 and it works fine with MC.
What about 'tar' and 'gzip'?  You see, i'm only poking a little around
in the dark...
                                 Wondering, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de