Re: depmod question: ELF header not found?

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Giuseppe Vacanti wrote:

>  I installed my custom kernel and went to run `depmod -a'. I get the
>  following error:
>
>  modprobe: error reading ELF header: no such file or directory

This may be your problem:
If you install a custom kernel made with an older version of
kernel-package, some text files are placed in /lib/modules/<kernelversion>
The newer depmod will choke on these, because they don't have a valid ELF
header.

This may be your solution:
Remove al *_MODULES files (recursively) from /lib/modules/<kernelversion>
This should get depmod going again.
Get a newer kernel-package if you want to compile another kernel with
kernel-package. Newer versions won't put non-modules in /lib/modules/*

Joost