Xdm

I'm trying out a switch to Debian after using Slackware for
years on various computers.  I've found several "obstacles"
for which I hope someone has a solution.

Running xdm, I find that it doesn't verify passwords.  I have
to telnet to the machine and kill the xdm process.  I suspect
that the problem may have to do with the configuration of
shadow passwords.

Is there a color_xterm package for Debian?

Any suggestions for installing netscape? -- I gave a half-hearted
attempt under dselect but found conflicts, resolved by removing
netscape.

Thanks for suggestions,

David Kohel