Re: irqtune: insmod failed on '/usr/lib/hwtools/irqtune_mod.o'

On 30 Jun, Hong Huang wrote:

> Got this error on my Debian 1.3 system:
>
> kernel: 2.0.30 compiled with loadable module support
>
> hwtools: 0.2-5
>
> moduils: 2.1.34-5
>
> Any idea what's wrong?  Thanks

Yes.
This is from a mail I sent some time ago:

Apparently hwtools does not contain the most recent version of irqtune.

Using irqtune 0.5 will solve your problems.

I have addressed the package maintainer about this.

Two solutions:

1. Wait for the new hwtools package.

2. Get the irqtune 0.5 from the website.
   You don't have to recompile, just copy irqtune_mod.o and irqtune
   from the tar to /sbin . Then change the invocation of
   irqtune in /etc/rc.boot/hwtools from
   irqtune
   /sbin/irqtune

What happens is that insmod dumps core. You can test it by calling
insmod directly, not through irqtune. This happens if you have compiled
the kernel with mod_versions=yes (so far as I know).

I have contacted the package maintainer about this, but didn't get a
answer and there is no new version out (or I have missed it).
Maybe I should file a bugreport.

Ciao,
	Martin