Re: USR Modem Hangs Intermittantly

Brian K Servis wrote:

> Jens B. Jorgensen writes:
> >
> >W Paul Mills wrote:

> >> I think you need to add S12=0 to your init string.
> >>

> >That's odd, a quick look at my Sportster manual says S12 sets the
> >'guard time for the escape code'. Where did you get this info about
> >the init string?
> >

> I have the same problem with my OEM USR Sportster 28.8!  However, I only
> have problems under Debian and not Win95.  I get pauses and hang-ups
> very frequently that are about to drive me insane!  I have the S12=0 set
> on both platforms as has been mentioned in past threads.  Is the Linux
> PPP more senstive to line noise?  PPP almost always terminates in these
> instances with a SIGHUP signal.(I don't send it.)
> (/var/log/messages snippet)
> Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Modem hangup
> Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Connection terminated.
>
> Maybe the register to set is S10 which pauses after loss of carrier before
> hang up?

S10 might help. SIGHUP is sent up from the kernel driver itself
when CD goes off on the modem. If Win95 works better, then in Win95
open up HyperTerminal and get in without dialing a number. Look at
the settings of all the registers and compare with what's set in
Linux. (ATI4 shows you the current settings.)

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com