Re: USR Modem Hangs Intermittantly

Jens B. Jorgensen writes:

>W Paul Mills wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Britton wrote:
>>

>> > I have a US Robotics Sportster 28,800, and it works, sort of.  However,
>> > every two or three minutes (give or take a minute or more) it hangs for
>> > about 30-200+ seconds.  It did on each of these last two lines *scream*.
>> > Same thing under Win95.  I know this is not my server is is very fast
>> > from a terminal on campus.  I have heard that this is a problem with USR
>> > Sportsters and that there is an init string type fix.  I couldn't find it
>> > anywhere on their web page or 'automated voice system' (read: crock of
>> > shit) though.  If anyone out there know how to solve this problem I would
>> > certainly like to know.
>>
>> I think you need to add S12=0 to your init string.
>>

>That's odd, a quick look at my Sportster manual says S12 sets the
>'guard time for the escape code'. Where did you get this info about
>the init string?

I have the same problem with my OEM USR Sportster 28.8!  However, I only
have problems under Debian and not Win95.  I get pauses and hang-ups
very frequently that are about to drive me insane!  I have the S12=0 set
on both platforms as has been mentioned in past threads.  Is the Linux
PPP more senstive to line noise?  PPP almost always terminates in these
instances with a SIGHUP signal.(I don't send it.)
(/var/log/messages snippet)
Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Modem hangup
Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Connection terminated.

Maybe the register to set is S10 which pauses after loss of carrier before
hang up?

Anybody have any suggestions for us?

Thanks,
Brian