Re: USR Modem Hangs Intermittantly

> I have the same problem with my OEM USR Sportster 28.8!  However, I only
> have problems under Debian and not Win95.  I get pauses and hang-ups
> very frequently that are about to drive me insane!  I have the S12=0 set
> on both platforms as has been mentioned in past threads.  Is the Linux
> PPP more senstive to line noise?  PPP almost always terminates in these
> instances with a SIGHUP signal.(I don't send it.)
> (/var/log/messages snippet)
> Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Modem hangup
> Jun 24 08:37:22 servis pppd[249]: Connection terminated.

It is ossible this is an IRQ problem, or even a DMA problem.  On my last
computer I had the high DMA channel of my SB16 selected wrong and it
screwed up my modem in the most subtle way (zmodem stopped working,
everything else seemed fine).  If it is an ISA modem or is operating with
PnP disabled another thing to check is your bios settings: make sure your
PnP setup reserves the proper IRQ  for ISA cards.  Good luck.