Re: [Q] How to create a FTP only account.. for...

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, System Account wrote:

> regarding this subject... I have used /bin/true for ftp-only accounts
> but i need to go one step farther. I have a /home/webusers directory
> where i have user accounts who with web space only. Right now they ftp
> in and put there html files there. But the thing is they still have
> access to the rest of the machine. So..
>
> How can i have /home/webusers setup as a root dir (chroot
> environment)?
>
> Also i'm not sure if i want then all grouped together in one group?
> Can anyone explain pros/cons for this?

have a look at proftpd which is a new ftp server package in the hamm
(aka unstable) distribution.

proftpd does virtual ftp hosting. It is possible to patch wu-ftpd to do
virtual hosting too, but it is a lot more work and IMO doesn't give as
good a result. proftpd is MUCH easier than messing about with patching
wu-ftpd.

WARNING: you may have to upgrade several other packages to hamm - hamm
is in transition from libc5 to libc6. There are many significant changes
from libc5 to libc6, so doing this may cause you many headaches at the
moment.

Try installing proftpd, if it doesn't work without requiring new libs
etc then read docs about libc6 BEFORE you decide to upgrade everything
else.

If you decide not to upgrade to hamm, then it should be fairly simple to
download the debianised sources for proftpd and make your own package -
rebuilding packages for debian is very easy.

BTW, I am running hamm at the moment, and haven't had any problems with
it.

Craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract