libreadlineg2 and upgrade to unstable

1.  Can anybody tell me how to satisfy the dependencies etc. to install
   libreadlineg2 (ftp'd from master.debian.org).  Using dpkg -r on
   libreadline doesn't work as it's needed by other packages.

2.  Have tried to install chimera2 but the install fails on postinst
    with a message about not beiug able to update-manu ??

Any help much appreciated - I'm planning to install 1.3 from scratch
on my mew PPro next week so will have an all Debian network.

Andy