Re: using rescue disk

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 CHUCK@URIACC.URI.EDU wrote:

> ======================================================================== 45
> I am trying to learn how to use the rescue disks. I got the files for the
> rescue disk, for the root disk, and the drivers disk from Debian 1.3.
> I used rawrite to put them on floppies (one each). I boot with the rescue
> disk in the (dos) a: drive. I have tried several different rescue coomands
> but each of them produces "unable to mount root fs on 01:00",
> when I say simply"rescue", or "0f:d0" when I say "rescue root=fd0"
>  or "00:0f" when I say "rescue root=floppy0". It works ok if I say "rescue
> root=/dev/hda3"; if I say rescue root=/dev/fd0" it does ask for the root floppy
> but fails with "02:00". I've searched for the correct syntax but can't find it.
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I think you are just working too hard at this. Unless you have some
special hardware to configure, you simply boot off the rescue disk. When
the prompt appears (boot:) simply press enter. The kernel should continue
to boot up finally presenting a dialogue box to choose color or monocrome
screen. Make a choice and begin the installation.

Hope that helps,

Dwarf