Re: hope to see ML to be included in future.

On Jun 25, Bruce Perens wrote
> From: sca.bbs@cis.nctu.edu.tw
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I'm looking forward to seeing these softwares
> > to be included in the future distributions of
> > Debian.
> >
> >   SML/NJ, Standard ML of New Jersey.
> >
> >   O'Caml, Objective Caml.
>
> Dear "mlt",
>
> Thank you for volunteering. Please read these two documents:
>
> 	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-policy/
> 	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/packaging-manual/
>
> Once you have read them, you will have the information necessary
> to create Debian packages of these programs. We look forward to your
> uploading them.

Hi,

actually ocaml is already done in stable:

Package: ocaml
Section: non-free
Installed-Size: 4772
Maintainer: Christophe Le Bars <clebars@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.03-2
Depends: libc5 (>= 5.4.0-0)
Filename: non-free/binary/ocaml_1.03-2.deb
Size: 1136546
MD5sum: 8b36946fa1ed86e22b26d7053b82db94
MSDOS-Filename: non-free/msdos-i386/ocaml.deb
  Objective Caml is an implementation of the ML language, based on
  the Caml Light dialect extended with a complete class-based object system
  and a powerful module system in the style of Standard ML.
  .
  Objective Caml comprises two compilers. One generates bytecode
  which is then interpreted by a C program. This compiler runs quickly,
  generates compact code with moderate memory requirements, and is
  portable to essentially any 32 or 64 bit Unix platform. Performance of
  generated programs is quite good for a bytecoded implementation:
  almost twice as fast as Caml Light 0.7. This compiler can be used
  either as a standalone, batch-oriented compiler that produces
  standalone programs, or as an interactive, toplevel-based system.
  The other compiler generates high-performance native code for a number
  of processors. Compilation takes longer and generates bigger code, but
  the generated programs deliver excellent performance (better than
  Standard ML of New Jersey 1.08 on our tests), while retaining the
  moderate memory requirements of the bytecode compiler.
  .
  Before the introduction of objects, Objective Caml was known as Caml
  Special Light. Objective Caml is almost upwards compatible with Caml
  Special Light, except for a few additional reserved keywords that have
  forced some renamings of standard library functions. The script
  tools/csl2ocaml in the distribution can be used to automate the
  conversion from Caml Special Light to Objective Caml.

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: christian.meder@utoronto.ca