Re: Books on Debian

W Paul Mills wrote:

> My start with Debian came about 6 months ago. I found dselect and
> the rest of the packaging system confusing. Frustrating at that time
> was man pages that said they were not up to date - read the docs.
> The doc files also said they were not up to date - read the man pages.
> Now that was very circular and not at all helpful. Someone totally
> new to linux would probably be even more confused. Often those new
> to linux do not even know how to find and view the documentation. A
> book would make a nice security blanket :-)
I think that is a good point -I have started using Debian (after a
unsuccessfull try with an old german S.U.S.E.-distribution) aprox. 1
month ago -there are still many essential thing, which I don´t undertand
and which are not working by now. One of the first problems I solved was
how to get some orientation in the widespread -filesystem tree and how
to use man-pages, HOWTO´s and readme-files.

A good basic book about the concepts of (Debian)-Linux is very helpfull
during the first time -when I am an experienced user, I will maybe
think, that this was useless, but from today´s point of view, I can only
underline what you have said.

--

Bye,

Marc Saric