Re: Books on Debian

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, H.C.Lai wrote:

> My point is, having Debain's book on the shelves of bookshops raises the
> visibility of Debain and may actually encourage people to choose it over
> other distributions.

Very true. I had heard about linux for some time before first trying
it somewhere back arould kernel version 1.1. A book with a very poor
version of Slackware was my start. The book was actually pretty
useless. But without the book I would never have had the courage to
try it. I often see people at the local Barnes and Noble requesting
a linux book with a CD. This almost always means they start with
Slackware ( as I did ) or Red Hat on occasion.

My start with Debian came about 6 months ago. I found dselect and
the rest of the packaging system confusing. Frustrating at that time
was man pages that said they were not up to date - read the docs.
The doc files also said they were not up to date - read the man pages.
Now that was very circular and not at all helpful. Someone totally
new to linux would probably be even more confused. Often those new
to linux do not even know how to find and view the documentation. A
book would make a nice security blanket :-)

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------