Re: emacs ispell -- request for bug confirmation

I'd appreciate if someone could help confirm/deny two possible bugs.
Regarding emacs and ispell (and iamerican) for Debian 1.3:

- if iamerican is not installed, using ispell under emacs incorrectly
yields an error message indicating that 'ispell -v' does not output
it's version line (this appears to be a bug in ispell.el, but I'd like
to get an independent confirmation before submitting a bug report);

- on a clean Debian 1.3 install, 'dpkg -i ispell_3.1.20-0.1.deb'
followed by 'dpkg -i iamerican_3.1.20-0.1.deb' yields a failed
iamerican installation:

  Setting up iamerican (3.1.20-0.1) ...
  Please wait while I search for ispell dictionaries...
  There is only one installed dictionary - american.
  Making american the default ispell dictionary...update-alternatives:
  unable to install /etc/alternatives/ispell-dictionary.hash.dpkg-tmp as
  /etc/alternatives/ispell-dictionary.hash
  dpkg: error processing iamerican (--install):
   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
   iamerican

This appears to be a problem with the postinst script (using
update-alternatives).  Again, I'd appreciate independent confirmation
before I submit any kind of bug report.

Thank you.

John