Re: Books on Debian

Paul Wade wrote:
> I also agree. Only a few pages of hardcopy are needed. Consider the
> candidate for a thick 'Complete Debian' type of book:
>
> 1) His hardware is too strange to get base and a few things installed.
>
> 2) He has no way to browse a CD.
>
> 3) He has no way to view web pages.
>
> 4) He can't send/receive email and use this list.
>
> 5) He can't print anything.
>
> He needs hardware, connectivity, or friends more than a book.
>
> A complete book would be a convenience to me, but I would rather spend the
> money on hardware. I have a lot of 'obsolete' hardware that is still
> productive. I can't say the same for most of the software and books that I
> purchased. If I had spent the money at a good restaurant, I would at least
> have some good memories for it.

I have found that all I needed for Installation and Getting started with
Debian are -

* The Debian Installation instructions printed out
* A book like 'The Linux Bible' which has all the HOWTOs and mini
HOWTOs.

In my case I had only one machine on my desktop and it happened to be
the machine on which I was installing Debian.  So my normal channel for
surfing the web was cut off till I could get my box on net net.  If that
were not the case, one does not need the HOWTOs.

Has anybody tried to convert Matt Welsh to Debian?  If he starts using
Debian I think he will change his excellent 'Installation and Getting
Started' to deal with Debian instead of (shudder) Slackware. ;-)

Sudhakar
--
"I'm all for progress. It is change that I object to." -- Mark Twain
Sudhakar Chandrasekharan                            (415) 937-2354 (O)