Re: glibc

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
 : >  :
 : >  : > Hmm I should have know. I installed LinuxThreads a while ago, but I removed
 : >  : > it when installing pthreads.
 : >  : > And of course, right now, LinuxThreads refuses to compile..
 : >  : >
 : >  : > Seems the include files in /usr/include ain't correct anymore...
 : >  :
 : >  : LinuxThreads is integrated and included with libc6, there isn't a seperate
 : >  : package to install.  If you've forced another thread lib dev package into
 : >  : installing, that would definatly cause you problems.  You may want to
 : >  : reinstall all of the affected lib and dev packages.
 : >
 : > Hmm okay, but if I try to remove some packages (libc5-dev needs to be
 : > removed before libc6-dev can be installed), it complains about for example
 : > ncurses. Will ncurses still work when I replace libc5-dev by libc6-dev ?
 :
 : No, you need a new ncurses, available in masters' incomming.
Ok..

 :
 :
 : > [root@oloon:~]$ dpkg -r libc5-dev
 : > dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of libc5-dev:
 : >  libgdbm1-dev depends on libc5-dev.
 : >  ncurses3.0-pic depends on libc5-dev.
 : >  libg++27-dev depends on libc5-dev.
 : >  ncurses3.0-dev depends on libc5-dev.
 : >  libgd1-dev depends on libc5-dev.
 : >  libdb1-dev depends on libc5-dev.
 : >  tcl76-dev depends on libc5-dev (>= 5.4.0-0).
 : > dpkg: error processing libc5-dev (--remove):
 : >  dependency problems - not removing
 : > Errors were encountered while processing:
 : >  libc5-dev
 : >
 : >
 : > Is it too dangerous to use dpkg --force-xxxx ?
 :
 : Better to remove all those libs (especially the libg++27-dev one:
 : why didn't you do so before installing libg++272-dev?), and try
 : and get libc6 ones. Not all are available, so you will not be able
 : to compile everything any more. Just bug the maintainers of packags
 : that don't have libc6 libraries yet.
 :
 : Note, however, that due to Guy's vacation, new libc6 compiled
 : library pacakges (with new names) will not be installed in
 : "unstable", and can thus only be found in master's incoming.
 : So, if yoy want to be a "Real Man/Woman", don't track "unstable",
 : that's for whimps: track master's"incomming" (only available
 : for maintainers).

A co-developer of the Mnemonic Browser Project (hakan), who is a Debian
package maintainer too, was willing to download the lib's as far as they
were present in master's incoming.

I'll play with it tonight.

Thanks for your support guys!

Remco.