Problem with chat, diald, & pppd

I've been using diald and pppd for about six months now - no problem.
(Thanks to Phillipe Troin et al.)

But, ISDN has arrived and the 33.6Kbps is "growing old"....

I've installed a Hayes ESP and attached a Hayes Accura ISDN TA to it.  I've
installed the esp module as per instructions, configured the TA, and have
begun testing....  and I'm running into problems....

The Accura works perfectly on my Win95 Notebook.  It also works under Linux
from minicom.  I can access the TA as a regular modem, run diagnostics, and
dial my ISP.  All works great.

But, things fell apart when I tried updating my diald configuration to use
the Hayes ESP/Accura combination rather than my old ttyS0 (16450) and USR
Sportster.  (i.e. update DEV=?? in /etc/init.d/diald)

Looking at /var/log/messages, it seems as if chat is the source of my
trouble.  It keeps timing out because it's not getting any response from
the "modem".  I feel this is pretty strange because minicom has no problems
at all using this device.

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 1.2.16 with a custom kernel on this system

I'm using minicom at 115200 N81.

setserial reports /dev/ttyP40 with a baud_base of 921600 and divisor of 8.

I've tried various "speed" settings in /dev/diald/diald.options.

The only area I feel I'm a little "weak" on in all of this is the concept
of divisors and speed_cust regarding high-speed serial I/O.  Any pointers
to docs covering this would be very welcome.  Other than that, I can't
think of what my problem might be.

Why would chat have a problem communicating with my "modem" when minicom,
etc, doesn't?

Any ideas, suggestions, and/or pointers welcome!

TIA,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst
Baan Business Systems