Re: glibc

> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Scott K. Ellis wrote:

>  :
>  : On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Remco van de Meent wrote:
>  :
>  : > Hmm I should have know. I installed LinuxThreads a while ago, but I removed
>  : > it when installing pthreads.
>  : > And of course, right now, LinuxThreads refuses to compile..
>  : >
>  : > Seems the include files in /usr/include ain't correct anymore...
>  :
>  : LinuxThreads is integrated and included with libc6, there isn't a seperate
>  : package to install.  If you've forced another thread lib dev package into
>  : installing, that would definatly cause you problems.  You may want to
>  : reinstall all of the affected lib and dev packages.
>
> Hmm okay, but if I try to remove some packages (libc5-dev needs to be
> removed before libc6-dev can be installed), it complains about for example
> ncurses. Will ncurses still work when I replace libc5-dev by libc6-dev ?

No, you need a new ncurses, available in masters' incomming.

> [root@oloon:~]$ dpkg -r libc5-dev
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of libc5-dev:
>  libgdbm1-dev depends on libc5-dev.
>  ncurses3.0-pic depends on libc5-dev.
>  libg++27-dev depends on libc5-dev.
>  ncurses3.0-dev depends on libc5-dev.
>  libgd1-dev depends on libc5-dev.
>  libdb1-dev depends on libc5-dev.
>  tcl76-dev depends on libc5-dev (>= 5.4.0-0).
> dpkg: error processing libc5-dev (--remove):
>  dependency problems - not removing
>  libc5-dev
>

> Is it too dangerous to use dpkg --force-xxxx ?

Better to remove all those libs (especially the libg++27-dev one:
why didn't you do so before installing libg++272-dev?), and try
and get libc6 ones. Not all are available, so you will not be able
to compile everything any more. Just bug the maintainers of packags
that don't have libc6 libraries yet.

Note, however, that due to Guy's vacation, new libc6 compiled
library pacakges (with new names) will not be installed in
"unstable", and can thus only be found in master's incoming.
So, if yoy want to be a "Real Man/Woman", don't track "unstable",
that's for whimps: track master's"incomming" (only available
for maintainers).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj