Re: fiddled with gcc/libc, now can't find stddef.h

Emilio Lopes wrote:

> The problem is that you have a version of cpp that's incompatible with
> gcc. They have to have the *same* version number.
>
> This is a *known* bug in the gcc package (it should have the right
> dependencies), but the gcc maintainer does not seem to think it's
> important enough to do a fix in stable. Look at the bug list for gcc
> at http://www.debian.org.

I haven't touched the gcc in stable yet because I've been waiting on
another important bug fix, which has been "RSN" for about 2 months: A
new upstream version of g77.  The one currently in stable is
unacceptably buggy.  In fact, there _is_ no acceptable version of g77 in
existence right now.  :(

Unfortunately, I'm now convinced that the g77 team is waiting on the
relase of gcc 2.8.0 (which has been RSN for over half a year), and the
new version probably won't work with 2.7.2.1 at all.  So, with no reason
to wait, I'm going to go ahead and fix this bug in stable.  I'll put a
new version in Incoming this week...when 1.3.1 is released, it should be
part of it, along with a new XFree86.

> I think he should at least watch this list. I posted a query for help,
> just like yours, twice, and got no answer. Almost two weeks with no
> idea of what was going on.

Funny, I thought I _was_ subscribed to debian-user, and the list had
simply been dead for months.  I guess not...

--Galen