Re: Connecting to Windows NT

Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro wrote:

> >I've never dialed-in to an NT machine. However, just because Win95
> >prompts for user/password doesn't mean CHAP is used. Win95 tries to
> >be real clever with authentication, responding to plain old login:/
> >password: auth, PAP, and CHAP as it detects them. If you really want
> >to see what's going on, use HyperTerminal and manually dial in. Does
> >it prompt you with "user:", "login:" or some such thing? If this is
> >a case you'll need to set up your "chat" dial script to respond to
> >these prompts with your user id and password. If once the modem connects
> >you see garbage spewing out, then PPP is starting automatically and
> >auth must by default be either PAP or CHAP. In this case get pppd set
> >up with debugging on ('debug' on the command line or in the options
> >file) and look at /var/log/ppp.log. Without understanding all the
> >info that's there, you should still see "PAP" or "CHAP" somewhere in
> >the output and you'll know what you need. Then you'll need to edit
> >either /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets, respectively,
> >and create an entry with your login/password. There should be examples
> >in these files to go by.
>
> Thank you for your message =)
>
> I tried to connect using MINICOM to capture to log what WinNT is telling
> Win95 during the login process.  Unfortunately nothing appears.  I pressed
> Enter a couple of times to see if any character would appear, but so far, no
> luck.
>
> Any suggestion?

This probably means that NT is waiting to receive a real PPP packet,
and is ignoring your carriage returns you're typing. This would also
imply that it wants to authenticate using PAP/CHAP. You should get
a chat script working for pppd to connect up. I guess a lot of people
use pon/poff but I've never tried these since it's easy enough to
write a simple script. Here's an example: (please excuse the
unintended line-breaks my email client is sure to insert in the
'connect' stuff)

#!/bin/bash
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 38400 crtscts debug lock modem defaultroute \
  connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -t 120 ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ
OK ATE0V1 OK ATDT5551212 CONNECT ''"

Note that this script will not try to do authentication, but having
"debug" as an option will log packets to /var/log/ppp.log, and you
should be able to see what it is that NT wants.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com