Re: striping, etc.

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

:
:wow, that was fast :)
:
:I've downloaded it, and read the docs.  I compiled the kernel with
:support for these devices.
:
:They will go on a machine with 3 200m ide drives, which will be a poor-man's
:server.  My current thinking is to mount / on the first controller, and
:use the other pair as /usr on the second interface.  /usr will be NFS
:exported.  Or would I be better off putting the two /usr drives on
:separate controllers?
:
:also, would I be better off combining all three?  and finally, will
:linear or raid0 give be better performance on ide drives (i know the
:answer is raid0 on scsi).
:
:rick
:

My feeling is that you'd do better with seperate controllers - however,
I've never run the md devices on IDE (I have an aversion to IDE).  I
suspect that RAID0 would be faster in any case since it divides access
between the drives at all times.

There is a mailing list for Linux-raid users.  Send mail to
majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu, with a body of "subscribe linux-raid".  It's
pretty low volume, and you can find people who have done what you're
trying to do.

Sorry I can't provide more specific answers, but I avoid IDE like the
plague.  I'm in the lucky position of having lots of SCSI drives to play
with ... I know that's not the norm.

Good luck! Linux raid is cool!
--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com