Debian package of Qt

I decided I would try learning some C++ programming using the Qt
package.  I tried the Hello World app in the tutorial and it would not
compile using gcc.

I have set QTDIR to /usr/X11R6/include/qt as that seems to be the place
that Debian put them.  I read the install guide but directories that it
suggests such as $QTDIR/include and $QTDIR/bin do not appear to be
there.

If anyone has gotten QT to work properly I would appreciate seeing that
little section of you bashrc or profile, etc.

Thanks
Jason
jason@dlcwest.com