Re: Are spammers subscibing to the lists?

On Thu, Jun 19, 1997 at 02:36:12AM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> You forgot one type: Some months ago, after posting to this list, a
> junkmailer urged me several times to accept Jesus Christ as my personal
> saviour. Well, as long as they don't e-mail bibles along with it this kind
> of spam is probably the most bearable.

I received this spam about five times, from four different ISPs.
Three out of four acknowledged my complaint messages and removed
the user, or informed me that the user had already been removed.
Although I did get some fairly strange automated replies.
out of ibm.net. I think posting to news is probably far
more dangerous.

Luckily, your favourite mail sorter can also sort out and kill spam.
I use sortmail here on this Solaris machine at uni, because
procmail isn't installed and I've already filled my disk quota
with other binaries. sortmail is only 20k odd, works quite well,
and comes from comp.sources.unix or .misc or something.

hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.