Re: Quantum Fireball EIDE uncooperative

On Wed, Jun 18, 1997 at 09:30:02PM -0700, Dan Hugo wrote:
> > I know my 2G fireball doesn't get very hot while running..
>
> I have a 3.2G, if that is useful.  The rest of the system was fine (ie
> ran off the rescue disk, and was not particularly warm to the touch
> anywhere, and the power supply was also pretty cool), and the machine
> had been up on other such hot days... I just happened to check the drive
> thinking heat might be the problem.  I guess "HOT" should be taken as a
> relative term... I mean, I touched a bare powerpc running at 300 MHz,
> and that was much hotter.  Let's say the drive was very warm, but still
> spun up on my next attempt to boot (then spun down again with the
> blinking green light).

I have a 3.2Gb Fireball as well, and it does run pretty hot.
Right now it's winter here, about 13C max, the PC has been on
all day, and the drive is just warm, and it's jammed in between
a floppy drive and another hard drive. Back in January [Summer here]
we had five days in a row > 38C, and the hard drive was barely
touchable due to the heat. The ambient heat was enough
to keep it really hot. That said, I never had any actual
problems like this with it. How hot is it there?

In that weather, just the heat out of the power supply is enough
to keep things quite warm.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.