Re: Are spammers subscibing to the lists?

Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Paul Wade wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > > Talking of spam - Have you folks ever wondered how they never want to
> > > sell anything that is worth buying?  All the spam that I have got seem
> > > to belong to one of the following categories -
> > >
> > > * Make money fast (rehash of the old pyramid scheme)
> > > * Advertise your site in a gazillion search engine for pennies
> > > * Scantily clad persons are waiting for me to visit their pages.
> > > * 10,000 "fresh" email addresses are available for 19.95 (this should be
> > > the spam equivalent of recursion ;-)
> You forgot one type: Some months ago, after posting to this list, a
> junkmailer urged me several times to accept Jesus Christ as my personal
> saviour. Well, as long as they don't e-mail bibles along with it this kind
> of spam is probably the most bearable.

Perhaps we have a real Debian Jock spammer.  (S)He seems to know that
the Debian distribution contains the King James version of the text. ;-)

<snip>

> I'm very curious about other methods of fighting back. What does abuse.net
> do for example?

<snip>

I have been using the net for more almost 4 years now and this kind of
spam seems to have started fairly recently (about a year back).  The
net.pests of yesteryears were an entirely different species mainly
menacing usenet.  Do others around here remember net.history the same
way I do?

Sudhakar
--
  "Reverend, I think I am coveting my own wife."  -- Ned Flanders
Sudhakar Chandrasekharan                            (415) 937-2354 (O)