Help with X start up

Hello,

        I'm trying to get X running (I downloaded the files in x11 from
the Debian 1.3 binaries.) I get the following error when I try to start
X using startx or xinit.

Fatal server error
  no screens found

	I used XF86Setup to configure the system. Do I have to set up
a special terminal or device to run X? If yes, how? This is my first
installation with Linux, but I've installed X on FreeBSD and have been
using UNIX for a while. I think I must have missed some step in the
installation process.

Thank you,
stef