Re: Firewalls

     One wants a firewall to
     1. not require logging into the firewall computer itself (TIS requires
     this)
     2. not require putting new (1 line changed then recompiled) ftp,
     telnet, ... on the computers behind the firewall (SOCKS4 may require
     this, I forget)

     The first causes the user a lot of work, the second causes the
     administrator a lot of work.
     I understand any reasonable commercial firewall does both 1 and 2.
     TIS informed me personally that 1. is inherent in their software, but
     they sell gauntlet without this problem.  Of course, neither you nor I
     wants to pay for a firewall.

     I'm unsure what the new SOCKS (SOCKS5 I believe) does, but it has many
     improvements.  I have also seen alpha level firewalls, one being
     developed by, I believe, a group of banks in Switzerland.

     These firewall approaches provide more secure proxy servers.
     The kernel itself provides IP-filtering approaches if compiled with
     "firewall".  You tell the kernel which addresses to allow and which to
     deny.  There was a nice command that does this (I forget its name).

     Hopefully enough people want a proxy firewall that the free community
     will develop one that is not burdensome.