Re: POP mail questions

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I have anacount on Netcom that I hav historically used as my primary
> 	mail receipt/reading/sending place. The response over the net has
> 	become pretty bad for interactive use, and the Netcom version of elm
> 	doesn't understand MIME.
>
> 	What I would like to do is contimue to use my Netcom address, download
> 	my mail for local reading, and uplad outgoing mail such that it still
> 	show Netcom as the point of origin.
[...]

I am using just such a setup. A few notes:

1) Since netcom doesn't provide slip/ppp to shell account holders, you
   will have to fake it using slirp (which is what I use), tia, or possibly
   term. If you haven't already set this up, let me know off the list since
   this isn't really Debian specific.

2) I use fetchmail to retrieve my messages, It injects them into port 25
   of my linux box for smail to feed to my spool via procmail. Here's my
   .fechmailrc (edited):

   poll 10.0.2.2 protocol POP3 user dthayer password noneofyourbusiness

3) I use smail as my mail handling agent. I answered the questions in
   smailconf yielding the following /etc/smail/routers file (indented
   and minus the standard comments)

   smart_host:
           driver=smarthost, transport=smtp;
	   path=mail.netcom.com

3) I have pine set up to (un)fake my address back to dthayer@netcom.com
   rather than dave@gamera.bogus.domain. This can also be configured into
   smail somehow if elm doesn't support this, check the archives.

This setup works great, I can read and compose my mail off line, smail
spools it until next time I log in. The only thing left for me is to
setup a procmail recipe on my netcom account to reject obvious spam so
that it never gets downloaded

your pal dave

Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA