Re: POP mail questions

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I have anacount on Netcom that I hav historically used as my primary
> 	mail receipt/reading/sending place. The response over the net has
> 	become pretty bad for interactive use, and the Netcom version of elm
> 	doesn't understand MIME.
>
> 	What I would like to do is contimue to use my Netcom address, download
> 	my mail for local reading, and uplad outgoing mail such that it still
> 	show Netcom as the point of origin.
>
> 	I have a couple of questions about this.
>
> 	1. Is POP a good way to do this?

Yes.

> 	2. If so what should I use for a POP clien? Remeber I want the mail
> 	   to be downlaoded on demand and placed in my ocalk mail spool area.

1.2 had popclient.  I notice that dselect now shows this as obsolete and
fetchpop is shown on the dselect list.

> 	3. Can the downlaoding tool also be used to uplaod mail to my Betcom
> 	   account?

No, but smtp will do that for you.

> 	I do know that netcom has a POP server, so what I think I need is a POP
> 	client, right? Can I then use this to upload mail to Netcom?

see above.

You should be able to configure fetchpop easily.  The smtp host to send
mail to will probably require configuration of either your mail client or
smail.

Bob

----
                            AX.25:    w6swe@wb7tls.az.usa.noam