Re: POP mail questions

> 1.2 had popclient.  I notice that dselect now shows this as obsolete and
> fetchpop is shown on the dselect list.

   Just a minor correction Bob, as I've travelled over this same road that
Stan is considering; the "fetch mail from a pop site" that 1.3 now has is
called fetchmail.

   I've played with two of these fetch mail from pop programs.  Sunsite
has "fetchpop 1.9" on it in the /pub/Linux/system/pop subdirectory (along
with several similar types of programs).  The configuration of fetchpop is
truly a no-brainer, it autocreates a file in your home directory and
stores the pop site name, along with your username and password.  The
drawback of fetchpop is that I found that it isn't as "robust" of a
program as fetchmail is.

   The fetchmail program that comes with Debian 1.3 is more flexible, and
thus a tiny bit more complicated to set up.

   Both programs can be run as daemons which when combined with diald can
fully automate grabbing your mail off from the internet.  I've found
fetchmail handles some things that fetchpop couldn't and once the
configuring is done you'll probably appreciate the flexibility.

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...