LAN configuration problem?

   I've been playing around for a few days trying to get a network up
between my Debian 1.3/2.0.30 box and a Win95 machine.  I've read the Net-3
and IP-Masquerade HOWTOs and have set things up to what I think should be
right.

   However, I can't even seem to get even a ping across the LAN.  Of course, if
I boot into Win95 on both machines it works okay so I know the cabling is
good.  I have the Win95 machine (horeb, aka 192.168.1.2) set up exactly as the IP-Masquerade
HOWTO describes, so I don't think things are a problem there.

   The Linux machine is now set up with diald and ppp to link into my ISP
(together.net) which does a typical dynamic IP assignment.  This works just
fine; it's the ethernet setup that I'm trying to tackle now.  The ethernet
card is a Realtek (sp?) model PnP NE-2000 clone.

   Could someone look over my configuration and help this newbie spot
something that I've probably overlooked? :-)  If so, I'd appreciate it.

   For my Linux machine, here's what I have in my relevant files:

	/etc/hostname:
golgotha

	/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.1	golgotha golgotha.spartacus golgotha.together.net
192.168.1.2	horeb horeb.spartacus

	/etc/host.conf:
order hosts,bind
multi on

	/etc/hosts.deny:
ALL: PARANOID
ALL: ALL

	/etc/hosts.allow:
ALL: LOCAL
ALL: horeb, .spartacus
in.smtpd: ALL
fingerd: ALL: (finger @%h | mail -s "SECURITY!: Finger from %h" redwards)

	/etc/resolv.conf:
domain together.net
search golgotha golgotha.spartacus together.net
nameserver	204.97.120.30
nameserver	204.97.120.31
nameserver	198.6.1.1

	/etc/init.d/network:
#!	/bin/sh
# Configure the loopback interface:
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

# Define some of my defaults:
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

# Set up my ethernet card:
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}

route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

	A report from "ifconfig eth0" after rebooting Linux and doing 2
		commands of "ping 192.168.1.1" from the Win95 machine:
eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:26:80:1F:71
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6100

   When ping'ed from the Win95 machine as per above, the Win95 machine
reports 4 "Request timed out." rather than a normal type of ping response.

   If anyone has any ideas of what my problem might be (the LAN problem,
not my personal ones!:-) and/or any suggestions for optimizing this setup
(all I want to do is to enable networking between the Linux and Win95 boxes
and allow the Win95 machine to eventually masquerade out to the internet)
I'd greatly appreciate it.

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...