Re: LAN configuration problem?

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Randy Edwards wrote:

> 	/etc/init.d/network:
> #!	/bin/sh
> # Configure the loopback interface:
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0
>
> # Define some of my defaults:
> IPADDR=192.168.1.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
>
> # Set up my ethernet card:
> ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
> route add -net ${NETWORK}
>
> route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

That looks fine.

You don't need the 'route add default.....', the 'route add -net
${NETWORK}' should suffice.

> 	A report from "ifconfig eth0" after rebooting Linux and doing 2
> 		commands of "ping 192.168.1.1" from the Win95 machine:
> eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:26:80:1F:71
>           inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6100

try 'cat /proc/pci' and make sure that your ethernet card really is on
IRQ 10 and I/O address 0x6100.

I've installed lots of Realtek PCI ethernet cards, and the only problems
I have with them is forgetting what IRQ they're on, or forgetting to
disable plug and play mode on the card.

Put the card in Jumperless mode (turn off Plug'N'Pray) and set it to a
specific IRQ & I/O Address by running the DOS-based config utility which
came with the card - it'll make life MUCH easier for you if the PNP BIOS
doesn't randomly change the settings of the card whenever it feels like
it.

PNP is a nice idea, but IMO it doesn't work properly - it causes far
more trouble than it's worth.  It's much easier and far more reliable
to configure your cards yourself rather than trust PNP to screw around
with the settings.

> When ping'ed from the Win95 machine as per above, the Win95 machine
> reports 4 "Request timed out." rather than a normal type of ping
> response.

can your linux machine ping the win95 machine?

what does your routing table look like?  try 'netstat -rn'.

what's in your arp table on the linux machine? try 'arp -an'. You want
to see arp entries for both machines.

what happens when you do a 'broadcast ping' (i.e. ping your broadcast
address of 192.168.1.255')? You should get ICMP responses from all
machines on the network. hmmm....just remembered...win95 machines have a
bad habit of not responding to broadcast pings. stupid machines.

try running tcpdump on the linux machine - according to the RX & TX
lines above, it looks like there is definitely some activity. You can
monitor the network with tcpdump.

Do you have any firewalling or masquerading rules yet?   if so, turn them
all off for now....only start configuring masquerading AFTER you've got the
basic network up and running (i.e. the win95 and Linux machine can talk to
each other).

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract