Re: Upgradeing to 1.3

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, compwiz wrote:

> I currently have Debian 1.2. I followed the instruction to upgrade the
> dpkg tool, but I don't know which packages download, to actually install
> Debian 1.3.

You'll have to upgrade:
- dpkg
- ld.so
- libc5
- all packages in section base
in the above order.

Since you already have a running 1.2 system, you might want to use the ftp
access method of dselect for this. If you want to do it without dselect
then read below.

Point dselect to ftp.debian.org or one of the mirrors. Next update the
packages information from the ftp site and enter the selection screen. Put
everything on hold, except dpkg and install it. Next go back to selection
and reselect ld.so for upgrade and install it. Next libc5 (if you've got
them installed, you might also want to upgrade libc5-dev and localebin
now.)

Now you're ready to upgrade all the packages in section base. Just select
them all for upgrade and run install. When this is done, you've got a 1.3
debian system and you may want to upgrade some other packages that come as
important, standard, optional, contrib and non-free. Do the important and
standard packages anyway, since those are more or less part of a basic
debian installation anyway.

Packages like pgp and ssh are in section non-us and you cannot find them
on ftp.debian.org, but there is a list of mirrors in the file
README.non-US on ftp.debian.org/debian. It might be easiest to download
and install them by hand.

If you don't really feel comfortable enough with dselect - the
user-friendly frontend to dpkg - you can always download the above
mentioned packages and install them by hand with dpkg -iBEG <package>.deb
This would also be the way to go if your machine is not (yet)
net-connected.

Still, if you download the packages yourself it is much nicer to also get
the overrides file from the /debian/indices directory and rebuild a
packages file for your homegrown debian tree with dpkg-scanpackages. Then
tell dselect to use a mounted partition and point it at your selfmade
packages file. Requires some reading of manpages though.

Good luck,

Joost