Re: Debian woes

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Lawrence Chim wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > If a standard package depends on a non-free package it should be reported
> > as a bug. To my knowledge there are no such packages in 1.3.0.

Lawrence, you probably mean "package in stable depends on package in
non-free." While this is not officially treated as a bug in debian, it
will probably appear as one to most users faced with a blocking dselect.

> There is some.  For example, some program depends on gs and there are
> two gs
> packages - one in binary-i386 and one in non-free.  For people to use
> the one
> in non-free, they have to install the one in binary-i386 first then
> replace
> it by the one in non-free later.

Or, better, first select and install gs-aladdin, then select and install
ghostview or gv. Same with pinepgp and the packages it depends on.

Cheers,

Joost