NIS Problem ... about to be solved? (I hope)

Hello,

A few days ago I reported the problem of NIS not working in Debian 1.3.
It still does not work and unfortunately no one seems to have an answer.
However, I just read the following from H.J. Lu regarding his new
release (5.4.33) of libc:

4. I have modified the NIS support in libc, which is not compatible
   with the previous version, but is compatible with SunOS, Solaris,
   ... except for those brain dead xxxBSD. Please make sure you have
   the same ypclients as the one at where you get this C library.
   Otherwise your NIS won't work with the modified NIS code in this
   libc. If you use a different yp client other than those in my YP
   clients package, you may need a patch. Please send me a note and I
   will fix it for you as soon as possible.

Now, Does debian uses Lu's "YP client package". Could it be that the
source of the NIS problems is a mismatch between Debian's YP
clients/servers and libc libraries? Could this new libc release solve
the problems? I whish someone could elaborate a bit more on this issue.

Just in case someone who might help me with the NIS problem is reading
about it by the first time in this list, I explain what is happening to
me after my signature.

Thank you,

--
Pedro I. Sanchez

Here is what happens to me. I have two Debian 1.3 boxes. One runs the
NIS server, the other is a client. What follows is a transcript of a
two-command session in the client machine:

~>ypmatch rover passwd
rover:V/8DB9sycYRnM:1017:1017:Nadia Rover:/home/rover:/bin/bash

~>su rover
su: user rover does not exist

all other YP commands work well like

~>ypcat -x
Use "passwd" for "passwd.byname"
Use "group" for "group.byname"
Use "networks" for "networks.byaddr"
Use "hosts" for "hosts.byname"
Use "protocols" for "protocols.bynumber"
Use "services" for "services.byname"
Use "aliases" for "mail.aliases"
Use "ethers" for "ethers.byname"

and no errors are reported anyplace. So, the ypbind client connects with
the server but for some reason the system commands, like su or ls,
cannot see the NIS mappings. I am running libc5_5.4.23-6, libc6_2.0.3-4
and NIS_2.20-1.

I have a third Debain box on the works and three more are about to come.
However, if this problem is not solved soon, I'm afraid I'll be forced
to completely replace Debian with Solaris. I wish someone could help. I
really enjoy Debian.