Re: Setting up news

On Jun 10, Joey Hess wrote
> Marcus Brinkmann:
> > Would you mind to give an explanation how I can post with leafnode?
> > It is not documented at all
>
> Just post as you would to any news server. Then when you run fetch to
> download news from the upstream news server, fetch also posts queued news.
>
> This is documented in the fetch man page:
>
>        First, after connecting to the upstream NNTP  server,  all
>        articles  in  /var/spool/news/out.going  are  posted using
>        POST. ...

OK, thank you, I missed that, ...
However, I have problems with Knews, it gives me a wired error message about
my domain name (says posting not possible).

> > and there are weired dependencies with trn and
> > inews, that I don't understand at all.
>
> Leafnode Recommends: trn | news-reader
>
> All this means is, leafnode reccommends that you have a news reader
> installed, and out of all the news reader programs, the default one that
> will be selected (if you install leafnode from inside dselect) is trn. You
> don't have to install or use trn, you can select any other news reader.
>
> There is no inews dependancy at all, I have no idea what you're talking
> about there.

Sorry, I was not clear enough: trn depends on inews:
# dpkg -s trn
[...]
Depends: libc5 (>= 5.4.13-1), ncurses3.0, inews
[...]

I wondered at deb-user about this, and you were so kindley to submit a
bug report against. Then Steve McIntyre and Jon Rabone replied, that trn
needs an inews to post news, because trn has no NNTP capabilities.

Again, sorry for the confusion - I hope things are cleared up now. There is
nothing to complain about leafnode, it works smoothly out of the box
(indeed, if everything were so easy as installing leafnode, debian-user
would be silent like an empty room!)

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann