stephen farrell: Re: making sound module

>On 10 Jun 1997 21:37:03 CDT stephen farrell (stephen@farrell.org)
>wrote:
>
>> So I've got kernel 2.0.30 running[1].  And I've got the kernel sources
>> & headers for 2.0.30 installed[2].  Now I cd
>> /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound.  I run make config, and then I run
>> make.  I copy the resulting sound.o /lib/modules/2.0.30/misc/, and run
>> depmod -a.  I get:
>>
>> 	/lib/modules/2.0.30/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol(s)
>
>Beep !
>You have to also make zImage and run the resulting kernel to get your module w
>orking (do also a make dep before :-).

I was under the impression that modversion obviated this.

>stephen@farrell.org said:
>[snip]
>> I'll just install that whole kernel I just made.  Sorry, that ain't
>> gonna happen b/c I get "System is too big". (Note that, other than
>> the sound, I've just gone ahead and built everything just like it was
>> setup in the config files that came with with kernel sources,
>> presumably those used to build a stock debian kernel ?  Am I naive in
>> thinking that the kernel-sources-2.0.30 are all set up to give me a
>> stock debian kernel?--but dammit, that's just a huge tangent from
>> what I want to do anyway!)
>
>You have to make zImage and put linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage as vmlinuz.
>If this is still too big, then use make bzImage and install linux/arch/i386/bo
>ot/bzImage as LILO's vmlinuz.
>BTW, you could use kernel-package. It will do the right thing.
>
>Phil.

make bzImage might do the trick for me.  I'll also check out
kernel-package (as it mentioned in the FAQ), but from the description
of kernel-sources, i figured that was outdated or, at least,
unnecessary.

thanks

--sf

--