Re: making sound module

On 10 Jun 1997 21:37:03 CDT stephen farrell (stephen@farrell.org)
wrote:

> So I've got kernel 2.0.30 running[1].  And I've got the kernel sources
> & headers for 2.0.30 installed[2].  Now I cd
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound.  I run make config, and then I run
> make.  I copy the resulting sound.o /lib/modules/2.0.30/misc/, and run
> depmod -a.  I get:
>
> 	/lib/modules/2.0.30/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol(s)

Beep !
You have to also make zImage and run the resulting kernel to get your module working (do also a make dep before :-).

stephen@farrell.org said:
[snip]
> I'll just install that whole kernel I just made.  Sorry, that ain't
> gonna happen b/c I get "System is too big". (Note that, other than
> the sound, I've just gone ahead and built everything just like it was
> setup in the config files that came with with kernel sources,
> presumably those used to build a stock debian kernel ?  Am I naive in
> thinking that the kernel-sources-2.0.30 are all set up to give me a
> stock debian kernel?--but dammit, that's just a huge tangent from
> what I want to do anyway!)

You have to make zImage and put linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage as vmlinuz.
If this is still too big, then use make bzImage and install linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage as LILO's vmlinuz.
BTW, you could use kernel-package. It will do the right thing.

Phil.