Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

> >Am I the only one which finds the amount of general PC/Linux/Unix
> >questions unbearable (in that case, I will unsubscribe) or is it time to
> >plea for more discipline, such as "Please use only this list for
> >Debian-specific stuff (like dpkg, dselect, discussions of the upgrade
> >path to 1.3, etc)"?
>
> While I'm sympathetic to your concern of traffic volume, I also feel that a
> "one stop shop" approach is easier for anyone trying to get their questions
> answered.  It's often the case that you don't really know whether it's
> Debian or Linux in general that's at issue.  And if you are installing for
> the first time, it's likely that you really don't have enough experience to
> say one way or the other.  This has been my experience, I'm a crusty
> veteran of Unix.  I know a lot of this info is supposed to be in the FAQs,
> but I've had problems that weren't covered, myself.

I'm sympathetic to both arguments here, but tend towards the first because
I sometimes find myself blindly deleting hundreds of emails (including
some non-Debian important ones) after every weekend, but sometimes read
all the mail with interest.

What _I_ would like is a nice concise posting regarding setting up a mail
filter for pine and other mail progs, posted regularly, so that instead of
saying 'I will unsubscribe' and losing possibly important members of the
list, people say 'That mail filter sounds easy to set up, I'll do that
instead'.

Ed