debian-1.3 partition size limitation ?

Hi,

I tried to install debian-1.3 on a system with an
Adaptec AHA-2940 UW SCSI Controller connected to
a hardware raid IFT-3102U with 34GB avialable.

- partitioning the computers internal disk (also connected
  to the SCSI controller) works fine

- partitioning a small (2GB) partition on the raid also works
  fine

However an attempt to create a large partition 30GB
(alone, or after the 2GB one) fails.

Independt of the existence of the 2GB partition,
bad block scan for the large one results in a "bad block 49"

I know, that the file system limit for ext2 is somewhere in the
tera byte region.

Is there a limit for the partitioning tool used by the
debian-1.3 installation disks?
And if so, is there a special tool for large partitions?

Thanks,

Markus Diesmann
Dept. of Neurobiology and Biophysics
Institute of Biology III