Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

At 02:07 PM 6/9/97 +0200, you wrote:

>This list has a terribly high volume. More than half of the messages are
>non-Debian related (like Ethernet 3com problems) and should, IMHO, belong
>to other forums.
>
>Am I the only one which finds the amount of general PC/Linux/Unix
>questions unbearable (in that case, I will unsubscribe) or is it time to
>plea for more discipline, such as "Please use only this list for
>Debian-specific stuff (like dpkg, dselect, discussions of the upgrade
>path to 1.3, etc)"?

While I'm sympathetic to your concern of traffic volume, I also feel that a
"one stop shop" approach is easier for anyone trying to get their questions
answered.  It's often the case that you don't really know whether it's
Debian or Linux in general that's at issue.  And if you are installing for
the first time, it's likely that you really don't have enough experience to
say one way or the other.  This has been my experience, I'm a crusty
veteran of Unix.  I know a lot of this info is supposed to be in the FAQs,
but I've had problems that weren't covered, myself.

And even if we tried to restrict the posts to just Debian, that's not
always the right restriction.  For example, there has been some resent
thread on Lyn and StarOffice.  Those were interesting, I'd probably not
have heard much about either without being on this list.  In short, it's
hard to say exactly what will and won't be of interest.  I like the some
what eclectic feel of the list, though I'd not want much more traffic than
we see now.  This is the part I'd not want to lose.

The one thing posters can do to help is use descriptive subjects.  That way
I can delete the ones I really don't want to read before even reading.
This is, admittedly, my own style of using email, where I tend to delete
over 1/2 my mail without ever reading.  And perhaps a regular posting, say
monthly, going over where to find FAQs etc.
--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@danenet.wicip.org>
DANEnet, Connecting Dane County's Communities