Re: rogers wave cable access....

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Richard Morin wrote:

> I've ignored the cable access threads in the past because it didn't
> pertain to me.  Now, I've been fortunate enough to have been selected for
> a free three month trial of rogers "wave" in my area (Internet access
> through our cable giant Rogers). I was wondering if anyone could let me
> know which packages I should be looking into to make it work under Debian.
> Any other canucks out there using "the wave"?
>
> As soon as the intallers from the cable company leave, re-boot from win95,
> and check that baby out, I can't wait.....I hope they don't expect me to
> analyze their software too....;-)

I don't know much about this, but I am in the same boat - I am travelling
to Burlington to hook up a machine that runs off the Wave. So I thought I
would describe what I thought needs to be done and then ask a few
questions of my own.

First, read the dhcpcd mini HOWTO and the documentation to it (I have yet
to install this and look at the documentation other than the HOWTO).

To be done(?):
1) Set up debian to use the ethernet card in your box just as you would if
you were directly connected to the internet with a fixed ip address. This
should be fairly straight forward depending on you ethernet card.
2) According to the HOWTO, you need to get winipcfg (or what ever it is
called the probes the cable modem server for an ip address) to write out
it's information to file using some switch (specifics listed in HOWTO).
The HOWTO then goes on to instruct the user to boot to debian using
loadlin. I don't do this this way and I assume that you can just use lilo
as long as the partition where the winip output file is stored is
accessible.
3) (vague) Use the dhcp client ( dhcpcd ) to parse the information from
that file and ... done?

I know this is quite vague but I am hoping to have others fill in the
blanks. Anyway, the questions this raises are:
1) Can one get dhcpcd to probe the server itself? I thought that this
software basically replicated the winipcfg program.
2) What ethernet driver should I use for a D-LINK 220? NE-2000?

Cheers, Colin.

PS. I will report my failure/success as I go and would be quite happy to
contribute the either/both the dhcpcd documentation and the mini-HOWTO.

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
		School of Policy Studies, Queen's University