Re: rogers wave cable access....

Colin R. Telmer wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Richard Morin wrote:
>
> > I've ignored the cable access threads in the past because it didn't
> > pertain to me.  Now, I've been fortunate enough to have been selected for
> > a free three month trial of rogers "wave" in my area (Internet access
> > through our cable giant Rogers). I was wondering if anyone could let me
> > know which packages I should be looking into to make it work under Debian.
> > Any other canucks out there using "the wave"?
> >
> > As soon as the intallers from the cable company leave, re-boot from win95,
> > and check that baby out, I can't wait.....I hope they don't expect me to
> > analyze their software too....;-)
>
> I don't know much about this, but I am in the same boat - I am travelling
> to Burlington to hook up a machine that runs off the Wave. So I thought I
> would describe what I thought needs to be done and then ask a few
> questions of my own.
>
> First, read the dhcpcd mini HOWTO and the documentation to it (I have yet
> to install this and look at the documentation other than the HOWTO).
>
> To be done(?):
> 1) Set up debian to use the ethernet card in your box just as you would if
> you were directly connected to the internet with a fixed ip address. This
> should be fairly straight forward depending on you ethernet card.
> 2) According to the HOWTO, you need to get winipcfg (or what ever it is
> called the probes the cable modem server for an ip address) to write out
> it's information to file using some switch (specifics listed in HOWTO).
> The HOWTO then goes on to instruct the user to boot to debian using
> loadlin. I don't do this this way and I assume that you can just use lilo
> as long as the partition where the winip output file is stored is
> accessible.
> 3) (vague) Use the dhcp client ( dhcpcd ) to parse the information from
> that file and ... done?

The process described in the mini-HOWTO /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/DHCP.gz
is a *kludge* which in no way actually "uses" DHCP. It also *is not*
guaranteed to work even. Suppose you gave up your lease on the IP
after you shut down Win95? Then copying the data that you got from
winipcfg would do you *no good*.

The proper thing to do is use dhcpcd. I have it at home. I haven't
tried it yet ('cause I don't have my server set up yet either).

> I know this is quite vague but I am hoping to have others fill in the
> blanks. Anyway, the questions this raises are:
> 1) Can one get dhcpcd to probe the server itself? I thought that this
> software basically replicated the winipcfg program.

The only *way* for dhcpcd to get the info is to "probe" the server.
winipcfg does nothing but read values out of the Registry which have
been set by the Win95 DHCP client code.

> 2) What ethernet driver should I use for a D-LINK 220? NE-2000?

==> zless /usr/doc/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.gz
indicates that the D-LINK 200 is supported. Perhaps the D-LINK 220
is compatible/also-supported. (Yes, it says the ne2000 driver is
used for that card.)

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that you should get the dhcpcd
package. *Ignore* the DHCP mini-HOWTO--there is nothing of value
in there for you.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com