Help! Weird console errors

Hi I have a mostly complete installation 1.2 about halfway
to 1.3 but anyway.. I was routing around in /etc and I'm not
sure what I did but suddenly it prints out the bell character
(it appears as a small circle) instead of actually beeping, and
it also prints out the tab character instead of tabbig. Anyone
have any idea what could do this or how to fix this?

Thanks muchly,
Nick