Re: Cron setup

>    I know the basics of cron and its crontab file, but have a couple of
> questions about the specifics of how Debian implements cron.  In other
> words, I've never seen cron divided with subdirs for daily, weekly,
> monthly, etc.  I get the point of doing things daily or weekly, but I
> wonder what about the specific time to do these events..

The scripts in cron.* don't run magically.  They are run by cron that
checks /etc/crontab.  Mine looks like:
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file.
# This file also has a username field, that none of the other crontabs
do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user  command
42 6            * * *   root    run-parts /etc/cron.daily
47 6            * * 7   root    run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
52 6            1 * *   root    run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
30 10,15        * * 1-5 root    /etc/cron.coffee
* *             * * *   root    atrun -d -l 0.5

This is pretty much an `ordinary' crontab file with an additional user
field.  Normal users have the `ordinary' crontab files like they exist
on other unices.

>    I'm at a point to where I want to run a mirror process to fire off
> daily at about 1:00 am local.  Could someone outline the best way for me
> to implement this into Debian's cron setup?

You can add your script to /etc/cron.daily and change the time these
scripts are run from 6:42 am to 1:00 am, or you can add an extra item
running your script.

>    If so, I'd greatly appreciate it; and, any additional info/tips you
> could shed on Debian's cron implementation would convince me to nominate
> you for sainthood. :-)

Does that include a free aureole?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032