Re: Consultants list for Debian GNU/Linux

> I've just volunteered to maintain the list of consultants wanting
> to offer paid support to people running debian systems.  I am
> unaware of anyone else currently doing so.  If someone is
> already doing such, please contact me.
>
> Once this list is assembled, it will be put on both the debian
> web site and be added to the Debian 1.3 CD image that is to be
> distributed.

[ I'll cc: the list, since it's almost like free advertising.  ;-)  ]

Jim Pick
<jim@jimpick.com>

Penticton, BC, Canada
http://www.jimpick.com/

Phone: (250) 490-8777
Fax: (250) 490-8772
24 Hr. Numeric Pager: (250) 770-4814

Services Provided:

 * Debian GNU/Linux consulting & support - installation/upgrade support,
    NFS/NIS/Samba/amd setup, sendmail configuration, PPP debugging,
    NFS-Root package (for diskless clients).   Basically, I can show
    you how to easily roll out Debian GNU/Linux on servers throughout
    your IS organisation or ISP.  Support is available via phone, e-mail,
    or on-site (I can travel).
 * Debian packaging service - I can package up your commercial software
    and upload it to be included in the Debian distribution + provide
    user support and bug reporting services.  Depending on the copyright
    of your software, it will usually get uploaded to Debian's "non-free"
    distribution -- or it could be uploaded to a "side-distribution" hosted
    off of my ftp site.
 * Development Support - I have been programming commercially for 14 years
    (I'm only 27).  I know a wide range of languages and tools, including
    C, C++, Java, Perl, bash, Visual Basic, and more...  In past projects,
    I have built a complete DOS-based GUI environment and CAD program,
    an extremely large client/server inventory-production system for a pulp
    mill (a $500,000 project), and several Intranet and WWW sites.  I can
    show you and your staff how to make the transition from costly,
    proprietary development tools to an open, free, non-proprietary
    development model -- and become more efficient at the same time!
 * Web Site Hosting - I have my own Internet server.  I'm flexible.  :-)
 * Internet Gateways - built from Debian/GNU Linux.  Using IP masquerading
    and dial-on-demand, so you can connect your entire office to the
    Internet simultanteously using a single standard dial-up internet
    account from your ISP.  I can forward e-mail from my site to provide
    a full-time "presence" on the net.  I can also do more conventional
    full-time internet gateways (over 28.8k modem or faster) and firewalls.
 * Remote System Administration - don't have the time to maintain a network
    of dozens of Debian GNU/Linux machines on your Intranet or Extranet?
    Or maybe you are just learning Unix (or don't want to learn Unix),
    but want a Debian GNU/Linux machine for your office NOW!  Jim Pick
    Software can remotely configure and upgrade your machine remotely
    via the Internet (using an encrypted connection, of course), or
    via dial-up lines.
 * Software Development Management - I'm an electrical engineer and a
    an experienced computer programmer, and I know how to manage large
    software projects.  I can put together a team and a strategy to tackle
    even the largest programming challenges with a minimum of risk.
    Call me if you need assistance in 'reeling in' an out-of-control
    project.

Rates:  (effective until August 31, 1997)

 * Base Rate: $45 Cdn / hour   (or $32 US / hour)
 * Negotiable for large projects.
 * I can do cheques/checks in Canadian or U.S. currency.
 * Quick Calculation: (prices from www.egghead.com)
     NT Server 4.0 w/5 clients = $767.93 US
                               = Debian GNU/Linux +
                                 24 Hours of expert advice and setup
     ... and when you upgrade ...
     NT Server 4.0 w/5 clients = $387.93 US
         (upgrade)             = Debian GNU/Linux +
                                 another 12 Hours of friendly service

Cheers,

 - Jim