Re: seyon

joost witteveen wrote:

> > I've downloaded seyon recently, because I understand (perhaps
> > incorrectly) that it provides a terminal emulator cum dialer for use in
> > the X environment.
>
> Did you download the debian package?  (there's one in non-free, if
> I remember correctly).

I believe I downloaded the Debian package in stable using dselect.  I
did a /seyon to find it and + to mark it for download.  I'd specified
[stable contrib non-free] so I'm not absolutely sure I got the correct
package.  I did, however, try \ to see if there was anything else called
seyon, and nothing else was found by dselect.  The seyon package was
2.14c-4.

> > Having done so, how do I invoke it?  I tried seyon
> > from within xterm, but it says "ksh: seyon: not found".  I did a "find /
> > -type f -name seyon" on a regular (<ALT><F1>) shell as root, and it
> > found only /usr/lib/menu/default/seyon.  I also tried "man seyon" but no
> > man entry was found.  Anyone have a clue for me??  TIA.
>
> man seyon works for me. So, you eighter have real problem with
> your system installation[1], or you didn't install the debian
> package, but tried one on your own. That should also work, but
> if you want to start, the debian package is usually easier.
>
> If you do install a debian package, and you really don't know
> where to look for documentation, you can always try
>   dpkg -L seyon
> and you'll see a list of files in that package. Then you'll see
> wat manual pages/other docs the package installes.

dpkg -L seyon showed /etc/X11 and /etc/X11/seyon. ls -l /etc/X11/seyon
shows Seyon, a soft link to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Seyon-color
which doesn't exist, Seyon-modem, a little file which sain /dev/cua1
which I've changed to say /dev/ttyS1, and Seyon-emu, a soft link to
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm which does exist.  I remain at a loss; our versions
appear to match, but there are a LOT of discrepancies (absence of man
seyon being the most troublesome).

> [1] Another possibility is that your debian package (if you installed
> the debian package) is newer, and contains (many) bugs. My version is
> seyon_2.14c-4, but there may well be much more recent versions out
> (I don't upgrade non-free packages very often/at all).
>
> --
> joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
> #!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
> $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
> lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)

Anyway, thanks very much for your reply, Joost.