Re: dselect and unstable packages

On May 18, Glen Carreras wrote
> First let me apologize if this has been answered previously, however I
> scan the list daily and have found no reference to this yet.
>
> It seems that I cannot get dselect to successfully complete operation when
> I try to work with the unstable ditributions. (i.e unstable/main
> unstable/contrib unstable/non-free)

There is a bug in dpkg-ftp. Here's how to fix it. Edit the file
/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/install. Find the section that looks like this:

print "\nProcessing Package files...\n";
my $dist;
foreach $dist (@dists) {
    my $fn = "Packages.$dist";
    if (-f $fn) {
	print " $dist...\n";
	procpkgfile($fn);
    } else {
	print "Couldn't find packages file for $dist distribution (re-run Update)\n";
    }
}

And replace it with this:

print "\nProcessing Package files...\n";
my $dist;
foreach $dist (@dists) {
    $dist =~ tr/\//_/;
    my $fn = "Packages.$dist";
    if (-f $fn) {
	print " $dist...\n";
	procpkgfile($fn);
    } else {
	print "Couldn't find packages file for $dist distribution (re-run Update)\n";
    }
}

The new "tr" line converts slashes to underscores.

> I'm sorry this is getting so long.  I have been dealing with this since
> the hamm distribution started, thinking that this would soon be a
> corrected bug, but I'm starting to think maybe it's something wrong with
> my installation since there is no discussion on the list about it.  Any
> help would be much appreciated.

There has been talk about it on debian-devel and bugs report filed, but the
maintainer seems to be away from his email. Hopefully someone will do a
non-maintainer release to frozen fixing this bug, or this might become a
FAQ for 1.3

Thanks,

  Christian