RE: Latest rescue disk locks up Thinkpad

Dean Carpenter writes:
 > I tried installing frozen on an IBM Thinkpad 760E last night - no
 > success.
 > The rescue disk would boot, load root.bin then linix.bin? and lock up
 > after
 > a bunch of "loading dots".  Locked up tight - cold boot time.
 >
 > Tried adding floppy=thinkpad to the boot line, no joy.  Something in
 > 2.0.30 perhaps ?
 >
 > I haven't verified it, but I recall that rex (2.0.27?) was able to boot
 > and install
 > without any special parameters.
 >
 > Dean

In the same vein...:

I'm trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on my ThinkPad 365XD (I run
Slackware right now).  Thanks to the people who have posted the info
that bzImages cannot be booted on this machine, I'm nearly able to
report a success story...: but unfortunately I'm not quite through
yet...

With the rescue disk from ftp.us.debian.org, this machine couldn't get
past the "loading root.bin........ loading linux......" stage, as
report earlier here.  (I tried both the stable and frozen/1997-05-13;
haven't tried the frozen/1997-05-16, and I don't have access to Debian
1.1.)

I got the kernel source 2.0.30, and produced a zImage.  I followed the
instructions on resc1440.bin concerning replacing the kernel in the
rescue floppy.  However, the following happens to me now (in outline;
details are available):

(1) If I boot the machine from this homemade rescue floppy, VFS
    reports an error saying "Unable to mount the root filesystem."
    (It reports a few lines before that "Mounted root (minix
    filesystem).")
(2) I tried putting this zImage in my harddisk and tried to boot it
    through lilo.  It works.
(3) When I ran the rdev.sh script on resc1440.bin, I first got a
    complaint that /dev/ram0 didn't exist.  I created it (in my hard
    drive...).  Now running rdev.sh doesn't produce this complaint.
(4) Now, rdev /dev/fd0 gives "Root device 0x3430" and rdev /mnt/linux
    (my kernel in the floppy) gives "Root device /dev/ram" (not
    ram0).
(5) My kernel is smaller than the kernel in the original resc1440.bin
    floppy.

Also

(6) I tried booting this zImage through loadlin, but I immediately got
    an error message saying that there isn't enough space.
(7) I have tried a rescue floppy with a Toshiba Tecra patched kernel,
    but it only got as far as the standard resc1440.bin floppy.

The following files are available:

00_Message     % This file
config         % The .config file I used to compile my kernel
dmesg-2.0.30   % The output of dmesg when my kernel is booted through
               % lilo
dmesg-floppy   % The last few lines of the messages printed out by the
               % kernel before the machine freezes when booted from my
               % homemade rescue floopy
resc1440ThP    % The rescue floppy I produced with zImage instead of
               % bzImage

All the files above are at

  http://www.ime.usp.br/~yoshi/linux

Probably there is a glaring mistake that I am making... but I'm new to
all this stuff... sorry...

Yoshi <yoshi@ime.usp.br>

PS When will the special-kernels directory in disks-i386 be
available...?

PPS For the ThinkPad users that haven't come across it: the page

  http://www.wwsi.com/linux-tp.html

contains encouraging reports about Linux on ThinkPads.